Translate

Tuesday 10 April 2012

A World of Colour and Friendships

Photograph of yellow gerbera by HL Millen

With yellow the eye rejoices, the heart expands, the spirit is cheered and we immediately feel warmed.  - Johann von Goethe (Theory of Colors, 1840)



My first ever post is inspired by the following lines in an eloquent letter I received the other day, from my lovely friend, Erika -

"I never visualize you or your world in black and white... I see you and your life in bursting color."

I got to thinking not only about how fortunate I am to have such a dear friend, whose beautifully worded and richly descriptive letters are always a source of vivid imagery and vibrant splashes of colour for me, but also how lucky I am to be surrounded by - and work with - such a visual feast of colour.


Cherished friendships bring a world of colour with them, and just like friendships, colours provide their own unique kind of nourishment and nurturing.  We may be comforted by the warmth of chocolate brown and caramel tones, enflamed by a passionate deep red, calmed and rejuvenated with a dose of fresh green.  The lush, tropical surrounds in which I live, do provide endless sources of wonder and inspiration for my photography and my art.  As well as this, being attracted to and surrounded by such a dazzling array of colours, brings me a feeling of deep appreciation and joy.  I love colours.

It's little wonder colours have such a powerful influence over our moods, with each and every colour having a unique energy vibration, or electromagnetic frequency in the light spectrum.


 Focus on Yellow

Yellow is the colour of the third chakra, the solar plexus or Manipura.



"Moving out of the prime center of raw matter, having joined with polarity we now come into a seat of personal power and awareness. Yellow is the dawning of a new perception. As the sun is the center of our galaxy, the third chakra is a golden energetic orb of centralized force. It can feed us, sustain us, teach us, and magnify our (already magnificently intense) ancillary energies. Yellow is the beacon held under a magnifying glass. What we submit for contemplation is amplified by the solar plexus chakra. This is because we have entered the dawn of specialized perception. When yellow gently strokes its fingertips across your awareness, it's prompting focus. Focus into the core of inner being, inner intelligence. This yellowy core asks us to honor the fullness of who we are."
Source: http://www.whats-your-sign.com/chakra-color-meanings.html


Improve Your Mood

"Ditch your white panties for yellow ones." says an anonymous writer for a fitness magazine article, "Sounds crazy, but color theorists say your body absorbs the vibration of colors, which, in turn, affects your brain and can actually alter your mood. Yellow connects us." 

While I'm not about to go running out to purchase bright yellow knickers in order to enhance my chances of forming romantic attachments, the idea that a colour may have the power to help people connect, I find intriguing.  Yellow certainly is a joyous, cheerful and stimulating colour for me, evoking powerful images and sensations of sunshine, flowers, light, warmth and clarity.  Yellow makes me feel happy.  It makes perfect sense, that the vital energy generated and emitted by certain colours can, and does, have a positive effect on our well-being.  That vibrant, life enhancing energy then, in turn, flows out and touches others, increasing the possibilities for making new connections, or at least brightening someone's day.

So next time you are feeling a little blue, consider finding a splash of bright yellow to focus on for a bit, and let the positive vibes work their magic!


The photographs featured in this post are from a series of vibrant gerbera images I shot for my range of notecards and greeting cards ~




I'm currently working on creating my own Wild Honey Designs website.  In the meantime a small selection of my nature photographs can be viewed at Pixdaus


Thanks for visiting!


All photographs and original text by HL Millen, copyright 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment