Translate

Monday 30 July 2012

Happiness Grows

As I was watering my vegetable garden this morning, a glimpse of the bright red cherry tomatoes hanging plump on the vine and ready for picking, took me straight back to my childhood and the happiness I felt upon receiving my very first plant - a tomato. 


I was four, and given the tomato seedling as a gift by the owner of a garden nursery, who was apparently amazed by my fascination and love for plants.  His act of kindness, and that little seedling, filled me with a quiet joy.  I had been given my very own baby plant to take care of!  It would grow... and make tomatoes!  I was thrilled!  As soon as we got home I decided upon the perfect spot for my seedling - right outside the front door where everybody would be able to watch it grow.  Fortunately, it was a good spot.  My tomato plant got plenty of sun and plenty of tender loving care along with daily watering from me.  It thrived.  My happiness grew along with that tomato seedling.  I beamed with pride as it flourished and produced what I thought were the most beautiful tomatoes I had ever seen.


Today, as I fondly remember my first gardening experience, I am filled once again with quiet joy.  I'm sure the nursery owner knew he was planting a seed of happiness in me with that tomato seedling, and gently nurturing my love of plants, gardening and nature.  This happiness and love of gardening, I hope to pass on to my young daughter, her friends and neighbouring children who frequently visit... one way will be simply by sharing the gift of seedlings from my own garden, with them.


The tomatoes growing in my vegetable garden today, give me the same feelings of happiness as the first tomato plant I ever grew ~









 Text & photographs 
© HL Millen, Wild Honey Designs

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment