Translate

Monday 23 July 2012

What's in a Name?

Well, it has certainly been a while since my last (and first) post.  Where to start?  I guess an explanation of why I chose the name "Wild Honey Designs" may be a good launching point.

Every year in Spring, a busy hive of native stingless bees appears behind the drain pipe out on my front porch.  Their return always makes me feel grateful and happy.  The native bees are an important part of the ecology here, and they help to pollinate the flowers in my garden.

The native bees' search for flowers and pollen, and their transformation of that pollen into wild honey (apparently a beautifully flavoured honey), was my inspiration for the name of my business.

Not only does the return of the tiny bees bring me joy, it is also a time for celebration for the Willy Wagtails that nest out the front each year, as quite a few of the little bees end up as food for the wagtail chicks!

A native stingless bee "fully loaded" with pollen from a portulaca flower (my own photograph)



Thanks for visiting!
-
-

No comments:

Post a Comment