Translate

Tuesday 25 September 2012

A Rose, a Bee, and Reverie.

 
 
 
Honey Bee Musing
 
Often when I'm photographing flowers, I will come across beetles, bees or bugs of some kind or another.  That's fine.  I like all creatures great and small (I'm not overly fond of flies, mosquitoes or toads, if truth be told, though all have their part to play). 
 
Today, I was caught up in a photographic reverie, taking pics of my neighbours' stunning rose garden, when a particularly inquisitive honey bee performed a couple of comical fly-by inspections of the camera lens.   "Welcome, sweet, amusing creature!" I thought, charmed.
 
Then, he flew over the top of the camera, across my face and past my right ear to land on my right shoulder (bare, apart from the strap of my dress).  I like bees.  However, having been stung before, I must admit, this little fellow now had me a tad worried. 
 
I decided to play it cool... and let the bee sit on my shoulder for however long it wanted.  No argument from me.  The bee sat cleaning his antennae.  On my shoulder.  For ages (well... it was probably only about 10 seconds, but it seemed like ages).  Then, to my relief and subsequent delight, the bee flew off my shoulder and onto the rose I'd been photographing.  He leisurely explored the flower, cleaned his antennae again, then he flew away.  Sweet!
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
All original text and photography copyright 2012, HL Millen

No comments:

Post a Comment